Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Box Tops - NonStop (1968)







This one got deleted a few times, which I think is kind of odd considering all of the other stuff on here. I don't feel like re-writing this, so here is what I wrote about a year ago:

Here is another Box Tops/Alex Chilton item - this one was released in 1968 just under a year after the chart-topping The Letter. Here, Alex Chilton is only about 16 or 17 years old, playing in a poppy-bluesy kind of outfit, and his voice is deeper and more gravelly than it is on anything else that I've heard by him. If you listened to that Big Star album below, you'll notice that he talks about The Box Tops leading a kind of 'scummy' existence and being controlled by their producers - Dan Penn and others, who wrote all of the songs for their album and often replaced the band members (except Chilton) with studio musicians during recording. However, Chilton managed to get a song of his own on Non-Stop, "I Can Dig It", which is one of my favourites. Other favourites include the darker "Yesterday Where's My Mind" and the classic sounding "I Met Her In Church".

Track Listing:
Side One
1. Choo Choo Train
2. I'm Movin' On
3. Sandman
4. She Shot A Hole In My Soul
5. People Gonna Talk
Side Two
6. I Met Her In Church
7. Rock Me Baby
8. Rollin' In My Sleep
9. I Can Dig It
10. Yesterday Where's My Mind
11. If I Had Let You In

No comments:

Post a Comment