Friday, December 4, 2009

Ennio Morricone - Duck You Sucker! [A Fistful of Dynamite] (1971)



Again, this picture isn't mine - I plan to be getting a real camera when I get back to the States over Christmas. They're a bit cheaper there. But to get to Ennio Morricone, he was born in Rome in 1928, and is apparently the most famous movie composer EVER, having scored over 500 films in a whole bunch of different styles. He is most famous for the western movies that he did, Duck You Sucker (Giu' La Testa in Italian) is one of those films, amongst others like The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. Duck You Sucker was also directed by Sergio Leone, who he worked with quite a bit and did some of his most successful work for. In fact, it marks the beginning of Morricone's relationship with Leone. I enjoy the soundtrack quite a bit, too, though I haven't actually seen the movie. There are some clips on youtube that make it look especially awesome, though. For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49z2lDvelQQ, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVS6NQr0YP8&NR=1. It looks like there's some comedic and nonsensical elements to the soundtrack as well as some more atmospheric prettyness, and the two go together to provide a nice hybrid.

I just downloaded the movie. Hopefully that will put it in context.

UPDATE: I just saw the movie, and oh my goodness. The hilarity content of the soundtrack will have to be revised and increased. It's pretty funny, especially at the beginning of the movie where Juan meets Sean, and Ennio Morricone's song bursts in with "Shon Shon". I'm not sure if that was intentional, IMDB said it was pure coincidence, but I'm not sure if I trust that, or if I want to. It was so beautiful. Especially because of the scene that was playing when it appeared. But man oh man, the movie was so good. I highly recommend it. The ending was so much more satisfying than Nick Cave's "The Proposition"*, which I saw just a couple of nights ago and still garners the status of western even though it takes place in Australia. The epic ending of "Duck, You Sucker!" didn't detract from the film at all, whereas Nick Cave's silent and open ended "WHAT'S GONNA HAPPEN!!?" ending has become typical and, it seems, something of a cop-out from a more imaginative ending. What I guess I'm saying is: fuck post-modern film. It's all about cheesy westerns and doing away with certain main characters. And it's also all about this soundtrack, which you should download.


*Disclaimer: I still love Nick Cave.

Side One
1. Duck, You Sucker (Main Theme)
2. Love
3. Green Table
4. March of the Beggars
5. The Dead Sons
6. Addio
7. Jokes on the Side

Side Two
8. Duck, You Sucker (Main Title)
9. Inventions for John
10. Counter Revolution
11. After the Explosion

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting Duck You Sucker. Looks like the soundtrack will be fun to listen to.

    I also enjoyed the movie. I particularly enjoy seeing either actor in any movie. They made their movies with the force of their acting. Merci Beaucoup! John - Atlanta, Georgia, USA

    ReplyDelete